Who would have ever imagined that in an age of such amazing technological advancement and overall prosperity, that:
- More people are enslaved today, ~ 27,000,000, than at any time in history [and the number is growing]
- More than 25,000 children died today due to preventable causes
- More than 1,200,000,000 people today live without clean water and sanitation
- 90% of the 30,000 deaths that occur each week are children under the age of 5, and the result of unsafe water and lack of hygiene
- Roughly 12.3% of US population, or nearly 40,000,000 people live in poverty
- There are 153,000,000 million orphans around the globe today
In the book of James, we are reminded that true religion includes care for widows and orphans. Paul’s New Testament letters clearly connect good works with faith.
In his series “Anchors,”Louie Giglio puts it this way; the only acceptable, appropriate response to being the recipient of the radical grace of Christ, is extravagant worship.